The Barnet and Southgate College Historic Vehicle Apprenticeship Scheme Is:
- A specialist provider of motor vehicle training and education since 1963
- A technical skill base which includes both engineering and coachworks (Body and Paint) for all types of automotive applications – from classic cars to hybrids
- A full range of specialist resources and equipment
- Based in north London with excellent public transport links and road network access
- Accredited apprenticeship provider – offering employers a hassle-free service from appointment to graduation.
- Up to 100% funding could be available to support Apprenticeship programmes in your business
- Training can be delivered in your workplace, minimising disruption and maximising impact
- From April 2016, if you employ an apprentice below the age of 25, you are longer required to pay employer National Insurance contributions for them.
The College’s Historic Vehicle Restoration Apprenticeship Programme has been designed in conjunction with The International Guild of Specialist Engineers (TIGOSE) specifically to develop technician apprentices from across the UK to equip them with the highest level of traditional skills and practical ability within the Vehicle Restoration industry.
The College offers two apprenticeship training routes into the historic vehicle industry, both accredited by the Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI). These are the apprenticeship training programmes at Level 2 and 3 qualifications in classic car restoration.
Programmes are delivered by day release or block release and are designed to develop apprentices’ competences, knowledge and skills used in the vehicle restoration industry.Apprentices’ competences on the programme are assessed with regular on-site visits at the employer’s premises by skilled assessors whose remit includes assessment and coaching.
The structure of Barnet and Southgate College’s Historic Vehicle Apprenticeship scheme uses the Principles (Knowledge) and Competence (Skills) qualifications from the IMI Level 2 and 3 Diploma, and where applicable qualifications in Functional Skills, including: English, maths and ICT; it also includes Employment Rights & Responsibilities.
Units covered include:
- Health and safety and good housekeeping in the restoration repair environment
- Knowledge of tools, equipment, materials history/heritage industry, dismantling & measuring techniques
- Mechanical: Maintenance and overhaul of engines, drivelines, chassis and electrical systems, fault diagnosis, ignition systems
- Panel: Identification, appreciation and rectification of minor body repairs and advanced thermal joining, vehicle body alignment, constructing vehicle body panels
- Paint: Identification, appreciation and rectification of minor paint defects, applying filler and foundation material and preparing surfaces to receive paint
- Trim: Remove/Replace interim & exterior components, vehicle panel fastening and operation and refurbishment of basic trim components including wood and glazing.
The duration of the Level 2 Apprenticeship programme is 18 to 24 months, while the Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship is a further 12 to 18 months.
The College can advise you on all aspects of Apprenticeships including the new Apprenticeship Levy.
Guild member companies
All Guild Members can take advantage of the Apprenticeship Scheme. It has been devised specifically for The International Guild of Specialist Engineers and it is the result of several consultations with Guild Members.
Please contact a member of the Apprenticeship Team to discuss your apprenticeship vacancy requirements. Contact details: 020 3764 4333 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact a member of the Apprenticeship Team for Information and advice.
Contact details: 020 3764 4333 Email: email@example.com
The College also offers a range of professional IMI accredited qualifications and apprenticeships, for a full list of all our programmes please see our website on www.barnetsouthgate.ac.uk
Connect With Us
- The Belgravia Classic Car Show, 2019July 9, 2019 - 9:53 am
On Sunday 23rd June 2019, the 96 Club celebrated its 40th anniversary at this year’s Belgravia Classic Car Show, the premier classic car event in London.
- Pictures from VSCC Silverstone April 2019April 30, 2019 - 10:21 am
This article features two pictures from a great day out at VSCC Formula Vintage Festival at Silverstone, 13th April 2019
- How to Insure a Customer’s Vehicle – ProperlyApril 30, 2019 - 9:46 am
We’re grateful to one of our preferred partners, Aston Lark Limited, the independent insurance broker, for this article.
Sign up to newsletter
Correspondence:The International Guild of Specialist Engineers, 2 The Langlands, Hampton Lucy, Warwick, CV35 8BN
Registered office:Khan Thornton, The International Guild of Specialist Engineers